Monday, March 30, 2009

The world's a-Twitter

Let me say one thing, I don't tweet.

But I do Twitter.

This month, Twitter has really exploded in the media. Sure, it's been around and it's been talked about, but this month I found it creeping into my world more and more. When a local city government started updating the media via Twitter, I thought I better jump on board. I'm the only one at my station that's on, and it's been a good thing. The process was easy, fast, and painless. Within a few days only following media, policy, and government websites (and Dave), I picked up a few stories that related to our viewing area--and ideas that we didn't have before.

And this past Friday, when a press release fell into my hands from a citizen that was actually dated for Monday (today)... meaning I got it through the back door three days before it was supposed to be public, which in news is a beautiful thing...it was all I could do not to Twitter it out to the world. I actually typed the message a few times before deleting it... after all, at this point my tweets would only go out to my competition and then they would've had the story as well....which is no fun. So I can see directly how this ups the ante in the competitive news biz.

So, I'm not tweeting yet, even though I somehow now have followers. Somehow, I think blogging, email, Facebook, and texting are plenty to keep me technologically connected in my personal life. I have no desire to add anything to that mix right now. I do have a life outside of technology.... but on a professional level, it sure is tempting.... I just have to bide my time until I can convince my bosses it's worthwhile to tweet.

No comments: