Thursday, March 26, 2009

All Minneapolis is a Stage

Minneapolis has the second largest theatre district in the country. Did you know that? I didn't when I moved here, but I have enjoyed the theatre culture more than I imagined.

There are big productions of the classics and off-productions similar to off-Broadway. I've been to three different theatres so far, and every production has been top notch. Great set, great lighting, good acting. It's not unusual to look at your playbill and see actors that list New York or Yale Rep in their biography. If you are going to act or be in theatre and you want to raise a family, this area is a good place for it.



That's the story behind Jessica and Ryan who moved from New York City to open up their own theatre in the small town of Osseo, which is a northwest suburb city of Minneapolis. For twenty dollars, you can see a quality production at the Yellow Tree Theatre. One of the gals I work with is like the Theatre Missionary for the group--she's always introducing us to good theatres or productions and trying to convert us to be all-out theatre goers. It hasn't been a hard sell. Last fall Jen led us reporters to see the romantic comedy, String, starring Jessica and Ryan.


If bigger theatre is more your style, downtown Minneapolis has alot to offer. The Guthrie theatre is an impressive building that overlooks the new I-35W bridge. The Guthrie stages classics as well as organic productions. Jen took me to see a Shakespere adaptation of Two Gentlemen of Verona, which was one of the most creative plays I've ever seen. The production kept all of Shakespere's lines--even the awkward ones--and turned the scene into a 1955 television production. They used old cameras (that worked), doo-wop, and creative tactics to make the story work in the days of full skirts, hair gel, and slumber parties. It's hard to describe, I left the theatre pondering the vast creativity of the production as well as the timelessness of Shakespere's work.



We returned to the Guthrie a few weeks ago to see Lorriane Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun. I had to read this script in high school, so I knew the basics. The acting here was superb, and the house was full. I enjoy looking at set design alone and seeing how they manipulate lighting to emphasize roles or the time of day.



For my birthday in November, Dave took me to the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre. This is a tour bus stop, and a bit pricey. We saw The Producers, and it was good. Several big actors have come through here. A few years back, a Hollywood producer picked out Amy Adams from the cast and took her to California. She hasn't been back.
There are several good productions that we just couldn't afford... The Fiddler on the Roof, starring Chaim Topol... and of course, Little House on the Prairie starring Melissa Gilbert as Ma. But of course, I'm not likely to drag Dave to that one.... This all proves there is more to see here than just the Mall of America!

No comments: