Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Back in time

This past Saturday I met up with several park district friends to travel to New Ulm for the Black Powder Trade Fair, which some groups claim is one of the fastest growing trade show in the Midwest.

I am continually amazed by the number of people who devote a large chunk of their lives to researching and reenacting history. These people know their stuff. This trade show specialized in times around 1820 and before, but several items could be used up to 1900. You could buy copper kettles, buffalo hide, wooden spoons, leather bound journals, 1850 maps, wool socks, needle cases, sage, clothing... the list could go on, and set-up was pretty impressive. The prices were pretty reasonable--there were several items you could pick up here cheaper than you could at Walmart.

It's obvious people don't do this for the money.

By just walking through, it's pretty clear to see how close-knit the historical reenactment community is. It was less like a venue and more like a family reunion. I saw more than once someone ask a question about a product or want to buy a product, and the vendor explain they were actually just watching the booth for someone else. That person would be back in a bit. Interestingly enough, I never saw anyone get upset over this.





Since we were in New Ulm, there was a nice german lunch of brats, sauerkraut, German potato salad, ham hocks, beer, and a few other things I can't remember. After eating, I decided there is a pretty good reason Germans drink alot of beer to wash down this stuff. I don't think I'm a big fan, so I was very glad to stop at a old fashioned drugstore and soda fountain on the way back.

New Ulm is a bit over an hour from the Twin Cities and if you happen to pass through, stop at a small town called Henderson. Go to the old fashioned drugstore and soda fountain and get something. It's the cutest atmosphere and the people are as friendly as can be. I had the greatest heath bar-carmel-chocolate sundae. I could've ate two.

This little town celebrates its german heritage every year with the Sauerkraut Days Festival. Maybe I'll go back then and have another sundae.

No comments: