Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Springtime and Cannonballs

It's springtime in Minnesota, and I am so glad. In the first big event of the year at the Landing, we netted more than 300 visitors for Civil War Saturday. Reenactors and enthusiasts came in to talk to visitors about the War between the States. Since I'm from the South, usually I get alot of good-natured ribbing at these events, but this time around we were so busy that I didn't get arrested or harrassed once. It was almost disappointing.



You can see on the Minnesota River picture how things are just starting to turn green. Buds have really sprouted out now. I have tulips in my yard--the squirrels got several, but I had a few make it. The irises are up but nowhere near blooming, my peony bushes are about 10-inches tall, and my daffodils should bloom in the next week or so. The white lilacs should be full-flower soon. It is good to see.


In this state, I am continually amazed at how much people truly enjoy the outdoors in the Spring and Summer. People travel more in February and March to get away from the weather and then stick around the house and lake for the nice temperatures and summer vacations. I can understand why.






No comments: