Saturday, May 16, 2009

Memories from KC


Dave and I spent time driving around KC, and here are a few pictures.










We ate a meal at the Flying Saucer, which specializes in beer. We had the pretzels and horseradish. The dip was hot enough to kick you through the wall. It was great. We both had tears in our eyes from eating the stuff.

This trip brought back memories for me. I spent a few weeks in Kansas City back when I was in high school. Every school has a cool club to be in, and mine was FFA. I was in a group of about 5 girls who competed on several judging teams. We won state twice--in Dairy Products and Argonomy (Crop science). When we won, we got a trip to the National FFA Convention in Kansas City in November to compete. Here we are in our short skirts and dorky hunter green and magenta jackets bragging we were so proud of our 1995 state win. (Hey, it was the mid-90s. Ironically, those are the colors I'm trying to get rid of in my house now!)
Dairy Products involved tasting 10 different milks to determine the defect, and then scoring the milk on that defect. For example, a bitter milk would either come from weeds the cow consumed or a medicine. We had to identify cheeses, identify real from artificial products, test milk for mastitis, score milk sediment pads, evaluate milker head units, and take a test. I was mediocre at this--sometimes scoring very high and sometimes low. I did better at Crops--give me 40 seeds and I can tell you what they are, but I don't like to taste milks. Even though I did rather lousy at the national level in Dairy Products, our team won 2nd place--higher than Arkansas had ever placed before. Not bad for a team that doesn't have a dairy cow in the county--heck, there's probably only 100 in the state.
Back then, we went to the American Royal , a Rodeo, the Galleria, and a concert. We ate steak. We stayed in a hotel in Kansas. We stared at lots of cute cowboys. One girl even met her future husband on our trip.

Dave and I visited some of the hot spots, and I think Dave's biggest disappointment was that there wasn't a baseball game that Sunday.

No comments: