Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Now Schmear this

While in New Jersey, Dave and I got to sample local fare with his family who drove down specifically to spend some non-wedding time with us. We enjoyed our time togehter, and there's no better way to spend it... than over a nice plate of bagels, lox, blintzes, and pastrami. Well, not everyone ate all of the above together, but we had a nice sampling at our table when we ate at Harold's New York Deli in Edison, New Jersey.


Harold used to operate the legendary Claremont Diner as well as the world-famous Carnegie Deli in New York. If he's learned anything from his
time as a restauranteur, I'd say it's size and quality do really matter.


This place had the biggest portions I've ever seen. Of course, they advertise on the menu that the plates feed 2-4 people. I'd amend that to say 2-4 very hungry people. It's no wonder people dine in parties of 15 here! I can't imagine the meat deliveries in this place.


Dave's dad and I couldn't finish an omelet that was the size of a meatloaf!


Jake took home most of his corned beef sandwich that stood nearly a foot high. (Most of the sandwich was meat and not bread)


These pictures of cakes and desserts don't do size justice. I should've done some sort of reference point. One slice would probably feed the entire table.... maybe 10 layers here?












No comments: