Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In the spirit of Dylan

Bob Dylan lives at our station. Or at least one of his spirits does. He's conjured there by several fans of our production crew, who always have a song playing or are planning their latest cross country trip to see the famous Minnesotan in concert.

So, it came as no surprise at a wedding on Saturday that Dave & I were seated at a table bearing the name of a Dylan song, "Knocking on Heaven's Door." Weddings usually have all the flavor of the bride, but this was a decision that definitely was made by the groom.

Dylan references were made in toasts, and even by the officiant during the ceremony. At the reception, our director sang a song dedicated to the newlyweds.

This is the first wedding that I've attended as a blogger and not gotten a photo of the bride and groom. They were both happy, surrounded by friends & family, and basking in all that nuptial bliss. Really, it was a classy affair that the 12 crew really enjoyed.


I missed a good chunk of the ceremony and cocktail hour because I was glued to my cell phone waiting for updates of the Arkansas-Florida game. When Dave and I left the house, Arkansas was leading 7 points and had just recovered a fumble. That seemed nearly impossible. On the way to the wedding, I arranged for my brother and a friend to send me updates.... and if I hadn't had two texts coming in from both sides of the country, I might have thought someone was joking to say Arkansas was actually staying in the ballgame against the number one team in the country.










By the time the cocktail hour got there, we'd located a television in the hotel bar. When it was tied up with less than a minute to go, I negotiated with some Notre Dame fans to please, please let us change the channel. SEC football is nearly never on up here. We sadly watched the end of the game with quite a few wedding guests.

When the family members started giving a series sentimental wedding toasts, the evening still seemed to drag in a sweet, sappy way. But then, the best man offered his toast: "I'm only going to follow that with one toast: May your genitalia never fail ya."

The evening really picked up from there.

No comments: