Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Lions come to town

The Lions Club has descended upon Minneapolis-St. Paul for their annual convention. There are more than 15-thousand people here, which makes it the largest convention of the year. You can tell there are more people around when you drive downtown in traffic.










I got to go down to see the big parade and cover our local group, the Brooklyn Park Lions Drum & Bugle Corp as they proudly marched between Portugal and Romania. They did great.









The parade went on for 5-6 hours and was pretty spectacular. I would venture to say it's the most impressive thing I've seen so far in the Twin Cities--it really reminds me of the parade of nations during the Olympics. Who knew Nigeria or Pakistan had so many Lions? I was most impressed with the Dutch, who marched the entire way in wooden shoes.





















Here are New York State Lions marching--without my favorite Lion, Pa Schwartz. Hmm... seems you passed on a great excuse to come to the Twin Cities? This could've been part of your daily walk! But hey, I picked you up a Convention Pin so you can be the envy of all of your local Lions, so that's okay.
You can have a flag from Pakistan too, if you want. I got that too.

No comments: