Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My turn at 25 Random Things

This is something that's going around on Facebook. I got tagged several times, so I decided to do it... and I spent so much time on it, I wanted to post it here too.

Here are 25 stream of consciousness things about me:

1. I think it's one of the worst things in the world to wake up to a cold house.

2. I showed up 45 minutes late for work Monday (long story) and no one noticed.

3. I have taught college for 10 semesters. 7 in person and 3 online. That makes me feel old. I love hearing back from my students who have gone on to do some great things.

4. I never thought I would get married, but I'm glad I did.

5. My grandmother's house is one of my favorite places, and my grandparents are two of my favorite people.

6. I have a race horse named after me, Shannon's Honcho. It's at Oaklawn this spring. Ironically, it ran in its first race at Louisiana Downs on my last day on air at KTAL. It came in last. hmmm.....

7. I listen to NPR and watch PBS. I love to learn--I am listening to an Audiobook on Victorian England right now. I think that makes me a nerd.

8. I am glad I am from small town America. I think it makes me more interesting.

9. I never wanted to learn to sew, but I am glad I did. It's come in very handy as I've grown older in outfitting my house on a budget.

10. I was a sorority house mom. And yes, I participated in a ice cream, chocolate, whip cream and beer fight with new pledges. I have pictures. Being in a sorority was a great experience.

11. I get stressed out going home for visits. There's always such an ambitious schedule planned and so much stress involved.

12. I love to make and create things. I like art and seeing things in a different way. I get this from my mom.

13. I like to work with my hands, be it gardening or refinishing furniture. I like the ache after a good, hard day's work. I get this from my dad.

14. I love my husband and I think he's very talented.

15. I will always wonder how my sports career could have wound up if I hadn't torn out both ACLs. Why did I go to that OBU basketball camp? Why did I steal that ball? Why did I land funky after a jump shot? What would have happened if I hadn't? I think about this at least once a week at the gym, and everytime I see a basketball court.

16. My internship in DC really changed my life. I went to museums, rode the Metro, and learned about other cultures. I even got to ride in the presidential motorcade.

17. I don't get why people vacation in the same place every year. been there, done that, why go back?

18. The older I get, the more I move away from the fire and brimstone religion of my youth and toward something that emphasizes love, peace, and understanding.

19. I really, really want to go on a whitewater rafting trip through the Grand Canyon.

20. I don't know if I'll ever think or feel old enough to have kids.

21. I consider covering Katrina in New Orleans one of my best memories of my career so far. I will always remember seeing an alligator swim through a flooded Winn Dixie parking lot. Do I have pictures of this? Of course not, the batteries on our camera were dead.

22. To drift off to sleep, I often design clothes and otufits in my head. Some are historic, period clothing, some aren't.

23. I get sick and tired of always being the responsible one in my family.

24. I say really, really mean things when I get mad. Sadly, most of the time it's directed to people I love.

25. I am an overachiever. I can't help it. I like to compete and I'm good at some stuff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why aren't we friends on FACEBOOK!?