Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bad news for Arkansas

There are two local headlines coming out of Arkansas today that are downright depressing. They make me sad for my home state, and very perplexed on how leaders could possibly change these statistics. I believe both problems are rooted in the home, where it is impossible to legislate change.

The first, Arkansas now ranks number 49 in the percentage of the population with college degrees. Nationally, the percentage is around 27%. And, the Department of Education says an estimated half of all Arkansas college students need remedial courses when they get to college. Nationally, 28 % of freshman need remedial courses. There's not alot legislators can do to change this, particularly when you are fighting against bad parenting or no parenting at home.

I am a firm believer in college doesn't necessarily make you "educated." Some of the smartest people I've met never went to school past high school and some of the biggest morons I've encountered have graduate degrees. It's not the diploma that makes you educated, it's your attitude and your willingness to keep learning. But, the next factoid proves that Arkansas isn't nurturing an education despite the lack of a diploma.


Arkansans are smoking themselves to death. Arkansas ranks among the top ten states for smoking death rates. One article says, "It turns out the states where people traditionally smoke the most have the highest rates of death from smoking." You think? Other states listed are Nevada, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Indiana. The best states for no smoking is Utah and Hawaii.

I distinctly remember a person in my hometown with a bumper sticker that read, "I smoke and I vote." Now I've never heard a politican actually stump on issues pertaining to smoking and I certainly can't imagine voting for someone solely on that platform, but it's curious to think that someone would. I've seen people die a slow horrid death because of this habit, and I can't imagine anyone picking it up knowing the eventual, painful demise that will catch up with you at some point. It still baffles me, but I know many people who have pride in their habit and in the chances they will beat the odds. For the record, I hope they do.
But the ignorant attitude is present in both of the above, and it's downright sad.

In the meantime, I am planning an ambitious trip home next week to see family and friends. I am excited to go to my under-educated, smoking state...hoping I will come in contact with neither, but realistically admitting I will find both.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm your friend who had to have remedial algebra when I got to Henderson- and I failed it and had to re-take it. Yes. I had to re-take remedial algebra!

It's so shocking to go from here where everyone is vain and skinny to AR where people are so unhealthy not only with all the smoking, but the plentiful fried foods.

But I would love to visit my friends there! Love my friends!

Dave and Shannon said...

ha... I had a friend who was quite the conundrum... was in the honors college in everything, but had to take remedial math. brillant guy. shows we all have a weakness somewhere.

I'm sure it happens outside of Arkansas too.