Sunday, January 18, 2009

At Knit's End

This weekend I did something truly Minnesotan. I attended a Fiber retreat with women who take pride and pleasure in not only knitting their own garments, but in first carding, then spinning, then plying, then knitting or crocheting their own garments. It truly is amazing to see what they create and the intricacy of it.

Since I am fairly new to this subculture, I found several bits very interesting. I wish I could remember more.

Top Ten Things you'll only hear at a Fiber Retreat:

10. How old are you? Are you young enough to be our "Token Young Person?" (I wasn't)

9. What do you take for your "Emergency Knitting"?

8. It's no wonder you are fiber looney.

7. I'm spinning locks. (of mohair, actually)

6. I have a nephew up in Finland, Minnesota...

5. Do I need a bigger orafice? (this is something on a spinning wheel. I was the only one who did a double take)

4. It's good to be able to just be able to pick up fiber and take it with you. (use of a drop spindle)


3. There's nothing worse than not knowing where you are on a knitty-knotty.

2. Have you read, "I'm a yarn whore"? (this is a book, I think)

1. I had to rip out 10 rows after last week's Drunken Knitting night. (Now, this sounds really interesting...)

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Wow! Now that sounds like a rollicking good time. Please go to Drunk Knitting Night and let us all know how it turns out. But only if you can remember what happens and you don't come back with thread knitted into your arm from a drunken knitting accident.

And by the way, since the blog is the two of you, I am just going to imagine it is Dave who went to this.