Monday, January 5, 2009

Motorcycle Grandmama

To borrow and adapt a phrase from a popular book, I hit the grandparent lottery. Each one of my grandparents was extraordinary in their own way, and all had certain habits and qualities that I'd like to emulate. One day when I'm older, I hope I have enough gumption to ride on the back of a motorcycle down the main street of town with enough grace and dignity to still be carrying my purse.

My grandmother Joy Rhea is the last person I'd expect to see on the back of a motorcycle, and certainly the last place I'd think she'd ride is down the main street of Delight. But she did. When I heard this, I had to have a picture.

The town of Delight throws one parade a year, and for a small town it does a pretty good job. Besides the high school floats, there are a few local groups that ride or walk the mile route. This year, my Uncle Oscar rode his motorcycle down the street and as he neared Grandmother, he waved for her to get on back.

I think it surprised everyone when she did. When my Aunt Kay said she'd hold her purse, she said, no I can carry it. And she did. I've heard details of the ride several times, and from what I hear, she was the talk of the parade. She's even been given a few 8 x 10s to commemorate her ride.

This is the lady who is known in the area for being gracious, dependable, and congenial. She's a true Southern lady who is all grace and charm on the outside, but also hard working, driven, and a mite stubborn on the inside. When she was approached to be a leader in the Red Hatters, she would have none of it. Maybe they were too rowdy. When I took her to Washington DC, she struck up a conversation with the airport security screener. When we spotted a 5-foot long black snake curled up in her yucca plants, she grabbed a hoe and killed it on the spot. Dave still tells that story. She was a grandmother we love to visit, but she wouldn't hesitate a minute to discipline us if we were being brats. She still would.

She grew up a child of the Depression, and as a result, she can make anything under the sun with cloth, food, or crafts. She can copy designer pictures with amazing accuracy and creativity.... but only when she wants to. When I took her an idea I had for my bridesmaid's gifts for my wedding, she responded by giving me one of her sewing machines. In other words, great idea you can do it...by yourself. Learning from Grandmother was always a good combination of helping, teaching, and releasing. And she'll help those who help themselves.

I called her when I heard about this:

"Grandmother, what's this I hear about you riding a motorcycle down the Main Street of Delight?"
"Well, I did"

"I heard you even held your purse the whole time."
"Well, I did."

"Did you plan you were going to ride?"
"No, he slowed down and I just jumped on."

I hope I'm the same way one day.

2 comments:

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said...

I hope do too babe. She is everything you said and more and a wonderful woman to model your life after.

And with a hoe in her hands snakes, have no chance!