Monday, June 20, 2011

breaking the social media news

When do you break big news over social media?

This has been something I've thought about for awhile. I'm not one of those attention-hungry people who post sicknesses or grievances on Facebook. I don't use it as a political or spiritual platform. I don't post much personal business on there. I keep it fairly benign. I keep my private life, for the most part, private. Even since I've started this blog, I've become even more private about what is posted on the internet about me and about my friends.

As ironic as it may sound, I've never been a big newsy "guess what" person. I think I've been overly cautious about being perceived as a braggart or self-absorbed person. Even when I won awards, I didn't necessarily run around telling everyone. Instead, I generally only told a select few that I knew would be genuinely happy.

But I have big news. Dave and I are expecting the sequel baby around, ironically, Labor Day. We've told our bosses. My coworkers found out at happy hour when I wasn't drinking. We've told our families. They found out in mother's day cards. We've told the close friends that we routinely associate with. Well, Dave mostly took care of that.

But we haven't broken the news to friends, family, and acquaintances on the social media circuit. How do you even do that? Throw out a small comment and see how many people "Like" it? Do we wait until the sequel baby arrives and then post pictures and let everyone wonder? Give a few people the heads-up so no one gets miffed they didn't get a personal update? Think about a creative status update that reveals the big news? Post a random blog entry like this one?

No comments: