Friday, June 3, 2011

North Shore Flavor


When you venture out of the metro area, you truly start to experience Minnesota. I firmly believe there are rednecks and country folk just about everywhere, and this state is no exception. Most everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful.

We stopped at a Scandinavian shop that was full of interesting arts and crafts. Thanks to my lovely Swedish and Norwegian friends, I can tell a Dalla horse from a julebakka...but maybe not a tomte from a nissa.

There are also several smoked fish and cheese stores along the trek North. Dave and I brought some some yummy smoked havarti cheese and Dave grabbed some smoked trout that I think his parents would like too.

Grand Marais is full of cute shops. We stopped in several small stores, but I think everyone's favorite was either the old fashioned Ben Frankin's or the World's Best Donut Shop, which did have some fantastic fresh donuts. There was a line continually outside of their door. While we were in Grand Marais, the lake was lapping up on the beach just like the ocean would have. A thick fog kept us from seeing that far away from shore. I found it ironic that my Aunt, who counts collecting seashells on the beach as one of her favorite vacation hobbies, collected smooth, interesting stones from the shores of the Lake. This is agate country, but we didn't find any--at least that we could tell.



Of course, Canal Park in Duluth is a destination for browsing too. Several antique stores, shops, and fish & cheese stores are spread out in a small area near the bridge. There weren't that many people around this weekend, so we got to look around minus the crowds. I asked one clerk when the place got really busy and he told me, "When summer begins. You know, at the end of July."

No comments: