Sunday, March 28, 2010

By the light of the iPhone

Don't let this picture fool you. The kid doesn't like to sleep. Actually, he fights it.

I remember considering it a personal victory and a point of pride that I went my entire Kindergarten year without taking a nap. I would lay on my pallet on the floor and just watch everyone else or whisper with another non-napper. I have reflected on those days several times and wished I had all that nap time back. I think it would be great to institute siestas in the workday.

Now, I sigh and watch Jack struggle to stay awake and then get frustrated because he's overly tired. Little guy, nap while you can.

As far as his overly tired parents, Dave and I have a system. I'm up at night and in the pre-dawn hours, I pass off baby duty to Dave. So, besides waking up for feedings, I sleep in until 11 or 12 am. Most of the day goes by in a blur... feeding him every few hours, changing diapers, aggressive burping, and getting him back to sleep.

I cannot say how much of a distraction my iPhone is during these late, long nights. I started to not even get one a few months back when my very old flip phone finally went out. Now, it's something I can do with one hand while I'm feeding or rocking. I play WordsFree/Scrabble with friends--anyone up for a game--let me know-- check email, and look things up online like 'how to deal with a crying baby.' I cannot imagine how slow the time would pass without it.

We take it one night at a time, and it doesn't matter how little sleep we get... we still spend most of our hazy days adoring the one who is keeping us up at night.

1 comment:

Adrianne said...

Darn where were those crazy phones 7 years ago???