Sunday, December 7, 2008

Folkways begins














It's Christmastime, so it's time for Folkways of the Holidays. That's the big December event at the Landing which showcases the holiday traditions of the settlers of the Minnesota River Valley.

Since I love Christmas, I am excited to participate in this event again this year. The first weekend presented a nice opportunity to see friends and catch up. I truly enjoy seeing these people. We laugh alot. We talk about things other than the headlines or newsroom politics. It's refreshing.

The first weekend kicked off with wind and flurries, which kept away the early crowds. We still had close to 200 visitors each day. I worked the same house and tradition I did last year, the Victorian house and corresponding English traditions. As I frequently tell people, if I can't be rich in real life... at least I can play a rich person at work!






The best part of the event--besides the people and the endless parade of fried food and sweets--is understanding why we celebrate Christmas (or Hanukkah) the way we do. I have grand plans to blog about the different traditions... so stay tuned... for a virtual taste of Folkways.



















No comments: