Monday, March 24, 2008

Taste the Hasenpfeffer

Dave and I had Easter dinner with the Henseler family, and we had a great time.

My friend Paula wanted me to bring a Southern dish, so I did--Shrimp & Grits. It turned out okay, and people seemed to like it.

But right beside the turkey, ham, and green bean casserole sat a dish Dave and I did not recognize.

Hasenpfeffer means "roast rabbit," so I timidly opened this new dish.


It was quite a joke, and we got several laughs from it. Might be something to try at your table next year?

3 comments:

Diakoneo said...

OK, I'm the hasenpfeffer clown. And the only reason I know about hasenpfeffer is from the 1962 Bugs Bunny cartoon "Shishabugs"

Diakoneo said...

PS - Thanks for coming to our house! Easter is always richer when friends like Shannon and Dave come over!

PS Read this out loud "Wii luv 2 av frends ovr fer iister!" :-)

Darrell said...

You have just enlightened an entire generation, who only heard of hasenpfeffer in the theme song to "Laverne and Shirley..."
I swear, I thought it was a made-up word:

In the beginning, Laverne and Shirley are seen skipping down the street, arm in arm, reciting a popular Yiddish-American hopscotch chant: "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight! Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!" The theme song is entitled "Making Our Dreams Come True" and is performed by Cyndi Grecco.

The hopscotch phrase in the opening sequence is simply amusing nonsense, apparently invented by Penny Marshall during long walks as a child, and added to the show for its novelty[1].