Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Legendary Byrd

You have to be careful dubbing things 'legendary.' Sometimes it's a substitute for saying 'old.' Other times it's not accurate. Often, it's just plain overused.

But when someone started their broadcast career in 1948 and worked until her eighties, I think it's safe to call her a legend. I mean, the woman started working in broadcasting before my parents were even born. Before my grandparents were married. Back when there was black & white pictures, film, and 45 second soundbites.

Mrs. Jean Byrd started work at my old station in 1961, and is in the Louisiana Broadcaster's Hall of Fame today I've seen her mentioned in a few places as being the first female program manager west of the Mississippi. She knew the audience and scheduled shows like Jerry Springer and Maury because she knew they would work. And to the chagrin of the more educated, they definitely did.

But working with Mrs. Byrd was another matter entirely. She knew everything about everyone and always was threatening to write a book about the town. Most of us reporters were young enough to be her grandchildren and we acted as such by stealing her candy and asking about station or Shreveport gossip. And yes, we did call her Mrs. Byrd. Ever the Southern woman, she never had a hair out of place, never wore T-shirts or anything we'd deem workplace-casual, and told me more than once how appalled she was that the female reporters didn't wear hose and heels. "I don't feel properly dressed without my hose!"

Perhaps part of her enigma though happened on her lunch breaks. It was commonplace for Mrs Byrd to come in, saying she'd just won 50 bucks or more playing video poker. She was an avid racing fan too, so we swapped a few stories about the Downs and horses there. In the circus that is a news station, she was a character that I'm sure people remember with a smile and a chuckle. She passed away on my birthday.

Another thing that was classically Byrd was her contribution to the company Thanksgiving potluck. She always, always brought her Banana Pudding and it was always gone. Before I left the station, I put her recipe in a pseudo-cookbook that I made for the morning crew. Now, this is something I'll keep as a way to remember the sweet and saucy lady that was our news grandma.

Mrs. Byrd's Famous Banana Pudding
2 small boxes Jello instant vanilla pudding
3 cups milk
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 8oz tub Cool Whip
1 box vanilla wafers
6-9 bananas, depending on size

Mix Jello pudding and milk thoroughly; add Eagle Brand milk and stir until well blended. Then, fold in Cool Whip and stir until thoroughly blended. Layer cookies, sliced bananas, pudding, and repeat. Garnish top with wafer shavings, if desired.

Rest in Peace, Mrs. Byrd.

No comments: