Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A is for Apple

Minnesotans love their apples. Before I moved here, I was content with a gala or something from the apple section...not red delicious and not granny smith....but another apple that was reddish colored and sweet. Not here. Locals have their favorites and they anxiously await the turn of the season to get the first apples off the trees. A guy I work with can tell you which types of apples will be ready at what times....Fireside first...then Harrelson.....the long awaited honeycrisp...finally regent, etc. I have developed a taste for certain types of apples, but I'm nowhere near the level some of these apple connoisseurs.

It is the Thing To Do to go to an apple orchard and pick apples with your family. Several have nice side attractions too...a corn pit, ponies, hot dogs, a hay ride, and such. I figure we'll be ready for that possibly next year.

Jack and I spent what could be the last beautiful Saturday of the fall out in an orchard, picking apples for Second Harvest Heartland. It was a Junior League shift for me, and I wasn't exactly certain it would work out with a baby.

But Jack was excellent. He enjoyed being outside and playing with his toys in the October sunshine. I strapped on an apple bag and pushed him under a tree while I picked and dumped bags and bags of apples. Jack thought going through the apple trees was a very funny thing to do. I thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor exercise on a beautiful day.

No comments: