Sunday, October 10, 2010

Walking for a cause

I never imagined I would be as involved in my college sorority as I am today. Since moving to Minnesota, it's become a fast way to network and meet some pretty amazing women who are doing amazing things in their lives. I'm on the board and we plan philanthropy, social, and educational events throughout the year. Since there currently isn't an Alpha Xi Delta chapter in Minnesota, all of the women I serve with are transplants into the cities, like me....from Indiana, New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Kansas, Michigan... other places I'm forgetting...most are around my age, but several older sisters are constants at events too. Most of us double as serving in advisory positions for the closest chapters. The collegiates remember me as the lady who was really big and pregnant at the chapter retreat, only to start labor less than 24 hours later. Even though I'm definitely not the most involved, this elevated me to a new level of commitment to sisterhood.

All year we've been planning toward the Walk Now for Autism Speaks, which is Alpha Xi Delta's new philanthropy. We've talked it up, we've spread information, we've volunteered, and we've fundraised. On September 25, it all came together at Canterbury Park for the big walk. We were there early as some of the first volunteers. The closest collegiate chapters in Wisconsin drove in to attend. Together, we had 75 team members and raised more than $9,000 for Autism Speaks.



No comments: