Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A very Newsy shower

Recently I've been doing a lot of eating my words.

I've always found the small town showers at home amusing, and I've poked fun at my Aunt's insistence that the punch at these showers always match the bride's colors. Red wedding colors=red punch, light green=light green punch, and so on. You should have seen the puzzlement when a bride had teal as a color. I' not sure why this is mandatory, but I've always got a giggle out of it.

Apparently those church ladies are onto something. I've been addicted to party blogs in my meager amount of spare time, and those blogs are all about being color coordinated with everything labeled and revolving around a theme.

I channeled my inner caterer/party planner to help throw a coworker a "Breaking News Brunch."

We surprised coworker Jennifer with a themed breakfast right after the morning meeting almost a week before her big day. Lisa and I got to work an hour early with food and decor in tow and made this little set up.

You might not be able to tell it, but behind that sign are rolled up scripts. Jen's wedding colors were orange, navy, and a light green so I incorporated those.
We had "news holes" which were doughnut holes.

Our punch was our "not so" kicker. (sorry, no alcohol on company time!)
Our coffee was our backup generator... which got a laugh because we had to have a backup generator for every live show this summer and it caused many coworkers a bit of angst.
I did little yogurt parfaits in disposable shot glasses. Those were our "live shots."

We had color-coordinated fruit for our "filler." I let a breakfast casserole cool before cutting it into tiny blocks w/sausage for "news blocks."

And I'm missing a picture of Lisa's fabulous french toast bake, which was our "top story."

We also planned on a bowl of nuts for "interview subjects," but we wound up skipping those. Which worked out just fine because we had tons of food to wish Jen well.... our news director kept Jen cornered after the meeting while employees huddled in the breakroom. The receptionist called Jen to let her know someone wanted to speak with her in the lobby, so she slowly walked into the breakroom area not exactly sure what type of 'nut' wanted his or her turn to talk.

Surprise! And there we were. She seemed happy.

Ironically, no one captured the big moment on camera. So, I guess we wound up missing the top story anyway. Stay tuned for the wedding follow-up soon.


1 comment:

Laura Kellerman said...

Awesome! My friend actually wants to go into business selling party extras, then suggesting the "color story" that the host should stick to. Anyway, we may steal some of these ideas for our holiday party!