Friday, October 15, 2010

A very eclectic affair and the black-haired mafia.

Dave and I attended a wedding a few weeks ago that was truly one of the most artsy, eclectic weddings I've ever attended. I loved it.

Our coworker Jen got engaged the December after I started work at the station. We've had three weddings and a baby this year at work, and no two events were alike.

Jen and Nick got married downtown in a coverted theatre that is used as an event and concert venue. "Hand in Hand" is a phrase from their wedding song, "Good Hearted Woman." That definitely set the tune for a fun reception! Jen had her phrase, along with her logo, on everything...only we didn't realize where it came from until afterwards.

She had a photo book for the guest book. You took pictures, kept one strip, and the other went in the guest book for you to sign. We took this set for the newsroom. The third picture down we are wearing the "morning meeting face."
See the logo on the bottom? Jen had the logo stamped on the invitations, programs, favors, everything.

Here's the newlyweds!



The ladies from work, plus Dave and a friend looking cool:














Jen's favors were as unique as everything else. For the guys, there were coolers with her logo.


For ladies, she had flip flops....and since all the good weddings generally have piles of shoes on the side of the dance floor anyway, I though this was the most perfect favor ever. Jen had a ten piece band that was awesome, so we danced all night. Since it is Minneapolis, I counted at least two Prince songs.




I'm not sure how much you can tell about the decor from these pictures. It was unlike any place I've ever been. I guess I'd describe it as somewhere between artsy and gothic. Jen didn't have to do any decorating, and why should she? It was a perfect backdrop as is.












Jen's family had seats in the dance area, and everyone else had a lounge style setting in the lower and upper levels.

I can't complete this blog entry without a note about the Black Haired Mafia. This is Nick's affectionate nickname for Jen's family, which is big, loud and always involved. When Jen moved, her family came en masse to help move, paint, and everything. I wish I had an army like that! She compares the women to the "Big Fat Greek Wedding" movie and I love hearing about their antics together. They definitely enjoyed the night, and we did too.

No comments: