Friday, September 10, 2010

Signs you are in an upstate New York grocery store

Dinosaur BBQ: proof that yes, you can produce good BBQ outside the south. Should you visit, I'd recommend the Big A$$ pork plate.


Entenmann's:
the Little Debbie of the Northeast. Natives are crazy about these calorie-laden confections. I am not so sure.





Kugel, Knish: Oh, let's call the whole thing off. You can purchase these jewish dishes in the grocery store, but it is guaranteed not to be as good as a grandma, or a Bubbe, might make.



Spiedie sauce: Never heard of the Spiedie? Well, you aren't alone and that in itself really ticks off people from downstate New York. When I interned in Binghamton, I ate a Spiedie every weekend at a different shop. Essentially, it's a different take on a cheese steak/po boy. I talked to several people back then who were incensed the Spiedie hasn't reached the same level of fame as the Philly Cheese Steak.


Ethnic foods aisle: I've never seen "Cajun Foods" listed with Kosher, Italian, or Mexican foods on the Ethnic food aisle, but I guess it works.



Pop Pop at the Deli Counter: If there's one thing Pop pop (Dave's dad for those of you out of the loop) controls in his house, it's definitely the quality and quantity of the deli meat in the fridge. Only the best and no skimping!

He actually controls more than that...(he controls the quality of the liquor too.. :) ) but seeing he and Jack at the counter picking up meat is another snapshot that I'll always associate with Dave's homeland.

No comments: