Monday, September 27, 2010

New Paperweights.

It was "Take your Emmy to Work Day" at the station. Our cubicles looked very special today.

We did it. Channel 12 went 4/5 at the Upper Midwest Regional Emmys on Saturday night.

It was a fun night. Fittingly, 12 people from Channel 12 (spouses and family included) got dressed up, went to dinner, and then went to the awards. It was like the Prom for grown-ups.

My name was on two awards: Community Cable Edited News Program, Logged In: The Social Media Sensation that I produced and hosted last November. The show talked about Social Media in 2009 and how it became incorporated into government, law enforcement, school, business, and social life. I worked very hard on this show, and I was pleased with how it turned out. When they announced my Emmy, I jumped. My friends from Dave's station were running the in-house studio production, so they made sure they put me on camera going up to the stage for. a. long. time. This made me incredibly nervous. I don't like to walk in front of people. I am always afraid I will trip. (actually I did trip during my Senior Prom, but that's another blog.)

The other award was for Cable News Best Live Newscast, so it was kind of like a team award.

Lisa won best Cable News Magazine for her in-depth special on Cold Cases. In an ironic twist, Lisa's family flew 1500 miles to be with her on her special night, but wound up missing the actual event. Who knew the Emmy people would do a fruit basket turnover on the agenda and wind up announcing her award FIRST while we were still at our overpriced dinner? When we walked in 15 minutes late, we checked Twitter only to find out Lisa's award was already announced and she was winner...how's that for social media? When the ceremony wrapped up, Lisa's Emmy was the lone award sitting on the stage.

Another set of coworkers, Alex, Dustin, & Brandon won for best Cable News Story: Hair Dye for Haiti, which was well done.

Also worth noting-- my Money Savers series didn't win, but I was thrilled to get a nomination. When I submitted the series under Public/Current/Community Affairs/Program/Special/Series...which tells you how crazy the category was...I was the 27th entry. I wound up making the top 5 to be nominated, up against KARE, Iowa Public Television, KBJR, and the Star Tribune. Iowa Public TV wound up winning, so that's not a bad thing to lose when you are up against the best.

I admit finding out what wins and the Emmy process is a bit like finding out about Santa Claus. Winning is an opinion that often relies on station reputation and if the station (or person) can afford the ridiculously expensive Emmy process. But it is validation that makes you walk a bit straighter coming into work on a Monday morning.

Especially if you are toting an Emmy with you.

No comments: