Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"the Kindness of Strangers"



Dave and I have accidentally turned into theatre enthusiasts since moving to the Twin Cities. Well, we've both had periods when we've been more interested in theatre, but now we actively check out plays that are coming to town.

Last night, we happened to get tickets to see the Guthrie's "A Streetcar Named Desire." At first I was excited to see the show because Carlos, from Desperate Housewives, was in it and he was going to be shirtless for at least part of it. Carlos as I know him did such a fantastic job that as the show went on, I forgot he was a character from one of my favorite TV shows. The rest of the cast was equally accomplished and riveting. Most impressive to me was that they had the accents down perfectly. Stan and the rest sounded like he was from New Orleans. Stella and Blanche sounded like they were from the deep south. Not that many people might have noticed this, but we did and appreciated the extra effort made for accuracy's sake.

I can't say enough good things about the productions I've seen at the Guthrie. It's a very good theatre with accomplished actors and plenty creativity woven into well-known stories. This year, we hope to branch out just a bit and check out some of the other theatres in town, but we know where to turn for a nice evening out.

Jack did just fine with a babysitter, although we constantly checked our phones to see if we had a missed call.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband is the Southern Acccent Police too! He couldn't stand True Blood for a while because they are so bad/ridiculous.