Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Minnesota *really* nice

The Most Awesome Baby Shower in the History of Mankind.

Okay, maybe that's a bit of a generalization, but when a baby shower lasts 4+ hours, attracts 50+ people (half of whom were male), involves video games, hot wings, beer, presents, chocolate, games, and lotsa laughter... I think it just might count.

My coworker Lisa was assisted by two other 12 reporters, Jennifer and Alexandra, in throwing Dave and I a nice baby shower involving coworkers at Dave & Busters in Maple Grove.
Dave and I were quite overwhelmed at the turnout. The only thing in my life I can equate it to is my wedding reception... so many people to talk to with so many good wishes packed in a room and the time just flew by. I was very surprised to see the clock nearing 11 pm when we started loading up our gifts.

After eating snacks of hot wings, pizza bites, egg rolls, quesadillas, and cake, the guys were all business with their games in the arcade. ...

but not before checking out the baby shower games. I was rather surprised to see the level of participation in baby shower games. Usually I totally shy away from shower games, but the men were all into this. One of Dave's coworkers was fairly adamant about winning the baby food guessing contest. He tied with one of my coworkers. How anyone could guess Lasagna baby food is surprising to me.

The other game was guessing how big my baby belly is. A two year old won that contest... her crepe paper guess fit perfectly, and everyone else guessed that I was much bigger than I am. What did she go home with? A bottle of wine. That's a bit ironic, don't ya think? But I guess it was better than the set of Guiness glasses.

It took me quite awhile to open all of the gifts. Since we don't know the sex of the baby, we got plenty of rubber duck related gear. At every shower, there usually is one gift that is repeated several times. For us, it was hooded towels. We must've gotten 15, and Dave had plenty of fun trying them on at home... but I don't have any pictures to prove it.
Dave and I remarked more than once how surprising and touching this whole effort was. We've only lived in this state for three years and we've known several people who attended much less time than that. We never expected to be showered with such gifts and good wishes, and it brings a whole new perspective to the term Minnesota Nice.
Thank you all. The gifts were special and appreciated, but your presence and support meant so much more.

1 comment:

Adrianne said...

Hooded towels are awesome!! They will last you FOREVER!! My boys who are 7 and 4 and 1/2 still use them!!!