Thursday, February 18, 2010

Adventures in Pregnancy


I'm not the kind of person to blog about the random things that are happening to my body as it forms and nourishes another person inside of it. There's got to be some personal boundaries somewhere, and I'm private enough to keep most of those to myself. But, I've heard murmurs and questions so I thought I'd share a few thoughts and observations I've made during my pregnant state:

Prenatal yoga. You've never seen so much cleavage and belly in one room in all of your life as when 20 women go from a plank to a downward facing dog in a prenatal yoga class. Dave got me classes as a birthday present, and I've loved it. It keeps me limber, helps me cope and adjust to my changing body, and in general, just makes me feel good. Driving away from a session, my body wants to sing. I'd go everyday if I could work it into my schedule.

Etch-a-sketch legs. While I haven't had problems (knock on wood) with stretch marks, little obnoxious purple veins have been another issue. It's amazing to me to see how when I go into a 10 minute "legs up the wall" where my legs are at a 90 degree angle straight up the wall, the spider veins on my legs simply disappear. (thank you yoga class)

Swim time. Once a week I don a black bathing suit and get in the pool to practice my best impression of a baby beluga. While I do have to rest between laps because I get so out of breath, this makes me feel good and keeps me active.

Beef. It's what I always want for dinner. Some people eat gallons of ice cream or pickles. I want steak or hamburger for every meal. Pork or chicken just don't have the same appeal.

Stuff. It's amazing how much junk babies need and how much more junk baby stores think you need. Since we started signing up for registries and the like, we've been solicited nonstop through mail and email.

Sympathy. Yesterday an apartment complex decided to start burning right before the newscast, so I headed out to cover it in a live truck. I think people tend to be more polite to reporters who are about to pop than they are generally to a pesky reporter. Maybe all reporters should wear a pregnancy pillow from time to time.

Why can't I sleep? Either it's God's way of preparing you for the sleepless nights or a cruel joke. People ask me often, how are you feeling? Honestly, I've generally felt great besides being so very tired. Besides the bathroom breaks, now I have to roll myself up into a sitting position in bed in order to turn over to the other side.

Old Wives tales. It really peaks people's curiosity when I tell them we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl. So far, I've heard I think every old wives tale in the book. They range from what I'm craving to how I'm carrying. Interestingly enough, I often hear conflicting tales like, "you are eating a lot of protein, that means it's a boy" or "you are eating a lot of protein, that means it's a girl."

Vocabulary: Boppy, Bumbo, Moby, Genie, sheesh. I'm concerned about things I never thought I'd be concerned about, and things I certainly didn't know about 2 years ago.

Cloth diapers. Dave and I are going to go down the cloth diaper road. They aren't your mama's cloth diapers, as they've evolved and are once again gaining a corner of the market. We think the benefits of cloth far outweigh disposable, and we've had friends exclusively use cloth diapers so we feel encouraged to do the same. This also has prompted a few interesting "you know you are an adult when" moments. Like yesterday when we had a long discussion over a toilet sprayer and how it would work.....

4 comments:

Mitzi said...

I'm completely impressed AND intimidated by the cloth diaper decision! And trust me, it's not just your vocabulary that changes...welcome to your new world, it's wonderful! :)

Mary Downey said...

I'm not modest, so I've laid a lot of it out there, but some of it I haven't. But, my blog is semi-private too (not many people know it's out there) so I'm not too worried about all that. As for the steak ... that's all I want too, I have been to Outback Steakhouse more times in this pregnancy than my whole life. I would say this means you are having a boy, however my best friend Whit is having a boy and the smell of steak is repulsive to her (all meats actually). I think our bodies just crave whatever we are lacking, maybe she has a higher amount of protein in her blood than us ... I don't think it has anything to do with the gender of the baby. Personally, I'm hoping for a girl in the Schwartz household so I have someone to buy little pink things for! :) Yoga is amazing ... I have been horrible about making time to go, I even had sessions and I let them expire, now it's just me and the Roku, and I don't turn it on enough!

Elementary Escapades said...

Congrats Shannon!

I suppose I can tell you now, but I'm pregnant too! I'm just over 13 weeks.

Good luck to you!

Emily

Adrianne said...

Awe the joys of parenthood. Well pregnancy first and how I miss that part!! I LOVED being pregnant! I however didn't escape stretchmarks (lucky duck). Enjoy these last months because before you know it your vocabulary will expand even more to include words after the kiddo is born.... I am guessing boy as well for this beautiful bundle! :)