Thursday, September 17, 2009

Meeting Hermann


The best day trip we made when my grandparents were in town was by far the drive to New Ulm. They got to see farmland and crops ready to be harvested. We visited Hermann the German, which overlooks the Minnesota River Valley.


We checked out Schell's brewery, apple orchards, and gift shops. And then headed home, where I served up a Minnesota-themed meal: Hot Dish which consisted of wild rice and chicken, sweet corn, fresh tomatoes, homemade pickles, raspberry cupcakes, and a few other items.


All in all, it was a very good visit with my grandparents. I am so lucky to be 30 and still have my grandparents be able to travel to visit. Not many of my friends have that luxury, and I hit the grandparent lottery anyway because they are two of the best.

I think it's worthwhile to note I took Grandmother to the 1880s temperance rally at the Landing and she actually saddled up with the town drunk and took a swig. It caused quite a commotion and was a hit with the crowd, but I don't have any pictures of this because my camera wasn't working. I never saw my grandmother drink in my life until I took her to a Temperance Rally... she's getting fiesty in her old age.

No comments: