Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dueling media personalities?

When I go out on stories, there's always a considerable amount of small talk. Somewhere in the conversation, I might slip a drawl in or a reference and then the question, 'where are you from?' pops up.
Which is always followed by, 'How did you get to be up here?' Never mind that the state is home to several Fortune 500 companies, medical device and science technology industries, and educational research facilities that inevitably draw a host of smart people from around the country to call Minnesota home. But, my answer is always....'my husband's job'.....followup question: where does your husband work?....My answer: big media outlet that everyone watches. Follow-up question: Which one is he?....My answer: Dave, the sports guy.

Eyes light up. I know him! or my personal favorite, 'YOU are DAVE's wife? Really?!' or even one once that was followed by a phone call, 'Honey, I was just interviewed by Dave Schwartz's wife!'

To which my response is, 'yep and I wash his dirty underwear too.' It's not always that glamorous, folks.

This market follows their media personalities and everyone who has been on that station for two minutes is immediately recognizable and "just so nice." I've even heard this from contributors to the station who do one interview and are then stopped in the grocery store aisles afterward. Many remember when I was on his channel after the birth of Jack and immediately ask how my baby is. However, the fact that I'm this so-nice man's husband seems to make me more credible in my job and probably 'so-nice' too. People feel like they have a 'scoop' or an inside track.

But this doesn't bother me. I'm confident enough in my own ability to think this is actually quite comical.

It's even better when I get a nice note following the interview about my husband doing something I'm even more proud of:

Also, I wanted to tell you that I mentioned to my boyfriend that your husband is Dave Schwartz. My boyfriend was quick to remind me how nice Dave was to him and his son at a Twins' game last June. My boyfriend was at a game with his son, celebrating his son's birthday. They had seats close to where Dave was. Dave took pictures of Scotty and Tweeted about Scotty celebrating his birthday. Mark had mentioned at the time how nice Dave was to them. And of course Scotty was so excited that his picture was taken and shared on Twitter. Just thought you might like to hear a "feel good" story about your husband. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that he was nice to a little boy at a baseball game. :-)

No comments: