Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jack's first birthday party

I realize the first birthday party is actually more about the parents rather than the kiddo. Jack won't remember his first birthday party, but I think he'll enjoy the pictures someday. Or maybe.

In honor of Jack's birthday, we built a birthday around a "Very Hungry Caterpillar" theme in honor of a book that we read quite frequently during Year One.
Jack's friends and family came over to celebrate on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. This party has been feeding my addiction to party blogs for the past several months, and I put quite a bit of effort into planning everything just right. For the most part, I was very pleased with how everything turned out--except I forgot to get a wide shot of the party table so you can't see the fabulous banner I made. I also made a great door decoration, but I didn't want to include it here since it had our address posted on it. (and I didn't want to go to the trouble to blur it out)

Jack didn't seem to care so much about the cake. We've done the strict no-sugar during year one policy, and he ate more fruit than he did cake. We'll see how long this continues. Even as the cake sits in our fridge, we've ate more of it than Jack.

I also don't have pictures on here of the nice caterpillar cupcake cake that the guests ate. That will come later. The gals at Cupcake Tuesday did a wonderful job.

For games, we played pin the head on the caterpillar, a bean-bag toss, and a memory game that the older kids seemed to enjoy. They also helped Jack open his gifts. Our friends are generous and we appreciate them.

Dave's family also flew to Minneapolis to be in on the fun. It was nice having them here and a prolonged birthday celebration. I have a feeling Jack might be bored when this birthday week is over.

Tonight we'll go eat something I know Jack likes: Steak!

















1 comment:

shannon said...

Your party looks amazing! Jack is so blessed to have you as a Mom. Happy Birthday Jack!