Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Ending and a Landing

I remember clearly praying once in the middle of a hectic, stressed out time in my life that when this news stint is up, I want a break and I want to be outside for it.

Be careful what you pray for.

When that news stint was up, I couldn't find another job in a newsroom immediately so I started work at a park district. At the time, I was really worried about money and pondering my purpose after focusing on being a news person for nearly 10 years.



I am easily adaptable, and I adapted quickly to working outdoors with history, nature, children, and the public. I loved that I could spot a bald eagle at work and take a walk in the middle of my workday. I didn't mind the variety of odd jobs, and influenced by the nature of the health conscientious people around me, I lost nearly 20 pounds over three months. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and still count them as my "Minnesota family."

But I remember too, when I realized I didn't want to do this forever. As the day's tour guide, I wore nice khakis and a pressed button down shirt for the day before learning that my schedule had been switched and I needed to go hoe corn. That day (combined with the inconsistent part-time paycheck) solidified my desire to return to my present career path. I'm glad I did, but I'm thankful for my down time and the opportunity to meet so many great people.
Through the following two summers and three winters, I've managed to still work Saturdays and holidays. I banked the now spare money to pay for my car and to pay down debt. I tried to keep up this pace after having the Jackboy, but it is not to be. Somewhere in the middle of the fun, it became no fun.

So...in an effort to cut back on my extracurriculars this year, I am making the move to volunteer status and I am very at peace with my decision. If anything, the move will cut back on my sewing...which I loathe with all of my being.

During December, Jack was a hit out at the site. I sewed Jack a double wool dress, which is proper attire for a 1800s little boy. Queen Pauline knitted him a wool hat, mittens, and booties. (I think she was appalled I had him out there in 3 pair of cotton socks!) One person told me a group of visitors came into her house and said "We've seen Santa and we've seen the reindeer. Now, where's the baby?"

My favorite moment had to be when an old lady stuck her face in Jack's and asked "Are you a little Angel?"To which he vehemently shook his head no.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That pic of him in his dress and you is so great! You'll love that later and you'll love to embarrass him with it as well.

Happy New Year!

Dave and Shannon said...

From Queen P:
Not appalled - just wanted him to have nice warm feet. And he is an angel, who just gets fussy once in a while, like all of us. And he looked SOOO cute in his dress - so there Dave! If you had been born in the 1800's you would have been wearing one too.