Monday, June 7, 2010

What if?

I still remember the day I found out I got rejected from Columbia's graduate school. Actually, I was wait-listed, but same difference.

I knew from the moment I pulled the envelope out of my campus mailbox that this packet was far too light to be an acceptance letter. I made it back to my dorm room before I started crying.

I know now I was more enamored with having a degree from an Ivy League college rather than getting a solid broadcast journalism foundation. So rather than gamble with a wait-list and then pay off the enormous debt that comes with an Ivy League education, I looked forward to an assistant ship and the challenge that awaited me at my second choice, the Newhouse School at Syracuse University... which is actually quite prestigious in itself.

I never knew on that first day of class that in a small graduate class of 28, I would meet both my future husband AND sister-in-law.

But I did.

It wasn't until after graduation that a chain of events starting linking together. A casual date became a meaningful relationship which only became stronger when Dave and I moved a thousand miles apart. He got a job in Shreveport. We still liked each other. We decided to get married. He asked his cousin to be a groomsman in our wedding which left us one very important bridesmaid short. I asked Brianne who was our good friend from our days at Syracuse. She came to Louisiana and met my brother, who was also in the wedding party. A casual wedding weekend became a meaningful relationship which only became stronger when Luke moved thousands of miles away to Alaska and then to Iraq. He got a job in Utica. They still liked each other. And they decided to get married.

People say 'all things work out for the best', but this is the one instance in my life where I have clearly seen a disappointment play out into the greatest thing ever. By getting that rejection letter, I found two very important people that I can't imagine life without.... which is a heckuva lot better than paying student loans on an Ivy League education.

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a great story!

Adrianne said...

Crazy because I remember touring Columbia with you. We didn't fit it in at ALL!!!