Friday, June 18, 2010

1889 baby

I am already starting to come up with great outfits for Jack to rue one day. I'm sure he'll say "you dressed me in what?"

Well, he spent last much of last Saturday in a dress. When my grandfather was a boy, he spent much of his time as an infant or toddler in a plain, white dress. I actually copied a pattern out of my grandmother's trunk to make Jack one to wear out to the museum site. I can truly say it's much easier to deal with than pulling on and off baby pants or unbuttoning one piece outfits. Maybe dresses are the way to go for infants.

I forgot to try it on him before we showed up that day. And, you guessed it... it barely fit. He was busting out of the arms and the dress would not close in the back. Luckily it was cold, so Jack stayed bundled in blankets. We pulled a bassinet into the kitchen where we had the stove going.

Jack was very well-behaved for a rainy Saturday, and he sparked several conversations. The front desk often asks visitors what their favorite part of the site is. One little girl said "the baby." That made the day worth it.

No comments: