Friday, June 26, 2009

When Johnny comes marching in...

This blog is long overdue! I've had computer-connection issues!

Nevertheless....

Our good friend Johnny visited us in mid-June and embarked on a whirlwind tour of the City of the Lakes. He wanted to see it all in just a few days... and he just about did.

That cherry will never be the same.

Dave and Johnny grew up together in upstate New York. I've heard quite a few tales of their growing up years, and even though I don't know the people... I still hear the 'have you heard about?' stories when I visit. The two friends played at recess, then later on the football field, and even later on Playstation. Johnny was in our wedding, and I'm sure there are still a few untold tales somewhere about Dave's bachelor party and a girl wearing a rebel flag tee while dancing with the guys in a cage. I've seen pictures.... but I haven't heard those stories.


Anyway, Dave and Johnny toured the Twin Cities. They went to the Mall of America. They took in a Twins game and drank a few at the brewery. Dave gave him a sports tour and a restaurant tour... even though Johnny swore he wouldn't eat Minnesota pizza ( I mean, what can really hold a candle to a New York slice?) he even said Cosetta's was okay. He had ice cream at Sebastian Joe's and cocktails at Maynard's on the Lake.

Much of the trip evolved around fishing excursions. Like most fishing trips, there was much anticipation and buying of the necessary supplies, but little payoff on Lake Waconia.










But the biggest disappointment had to come when they went to check out the Minnehaha Falls. Longfellow penned the 'Song of Hiawatha' by the waterfall, and whenever an arctic front moves through and the waterfall freezes over, a national correspondent will come to do a live shot and say "A winter storm has gripped the midwest." I told Johnny this should be on his must-see list... instead, it was more like the Minnehaha trickle:


I guess saying we've had dry weather is a huge understatement.

Seriously, we both enjoyed the visit. One of the best parts, for me, was Johnny correcting Dave's housekeeping abilities... 'Dave, why don't you ever fill up the ice trays?' 'Dave, why don't you nail this nail all the way in?'

I got a break for a few days. Ha.

No really, the visit was great and you are welcome back anytime Johnny!

No comments: