Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sentimental about Shea

For those of you that didn't know, I am a huge New York Mets fan. I have been my whole life. Sunday the Mets Mecca, Shea Stadium, closed it's doors for the final time. The Mets didn't get a big celebration, like their hated cross town rival Yankees, in fact all they got was a loss and horrible feeling of missing the playoffs for the second straight year.
Frankly, I want to know why? (Not why they missed the playoffs, unfortunately I know the answer to that.)
.



I know Yankee Stadium was "The House that Ruth built" and I know the stories of Mantle, Maris, and Ford
But, what about the '86 World Series and the infamous Mookie Wilson single that went through Bill Buckner's leg? Or all 16 of the single-game hitters pitched at Shea over the years? Those were some of the greatest memories of my childhood.

I have so many great memories of Shea, but the best always bring me back to the trips with my dad. We made the venture to Shea more than a few times. The games never mattered as much as stuffing our face full of all of the bad foods that we could in 9 innings. My dad isn't the biggest baseball fan and he often stared at me in shock when I screamed at opposing teams.

Like in June of 2002, when Roger Clemens came to Shea for the first time since pegging Mike Piazza in the head at Yankee stadium. I was one of thousands who really let him have it.

So Yankee Stadium you can have your ceremonies, parties and reputataion as a hall of hallowed memories.
Shea will always be the place where I've had some of my best.

No comments: