Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why didn't I think of that?

I've thought before if I could just think of an idea to break into the Minnesota State Fair then I could work for 12 days a year.... perhaps a few more with preps.... and be done. FOR the year. People love to come here, love to work here, and LOVE to spend money here.









A nice brother and sister team from our viewing area came up with the idea. Actually, the family which has a local diner says it was always their dream to have a booth at the state fair. It took them three years of small carnivals, other fairs, and even getting a contract to sell their product at Target Field before they got the green light to sell "Deep Fried Pies" at the State Fair. While people somehow think fried pies are a new concept here, I've laughed because you can buy these at most any mom & pop diner down south. I used to stop in Lewisville and buy a hot peach fried pie at Burge's for a buck.


They are called Minneapple Pies and have cinnamon and apples and are served with ice cream and they are a big hit. Many people I interviewed had a list of all of the new foods at the fair and were going around testing out each one. This one was a hit and even the Food Network's Andrew Zimmern stopped by the fair to sign off on them.


My state fair standby so far has been cheese curds... not any stand, but the original one on the south side of Dan Patch between Underwood and Nelson. They are yummy and not greasy.













But my coworker turned me onto a new favorite-- a turkey sandwich that's the best I've ever eaten in my life. Juicy with great flavor. I could've eaten two. Sold, of course, right across from the Poultry building.

Ma Schwartz came to visit and we spent 4 hours walking around the East side of the fair. We drove by fiddle contests, Spamville, Alphabet Junction, and the Creative Arts buildings and didn't get to stop.... but we did eat some state fair faves like the Oklahoma Cinnamon Roll (my request), Lefse, mini-donuts, nachoes from a stand that's been selling them since 1940-something, german root beer, and fresh french fries from THE fresh french fry stand. There are so many things I would still love to see...or eat.... but we snacked and left when Jack went to sleep and crowds got too think....and ate salads for dinner.

No comments: