Sunday, November 8, 2009

My food crush

Since meeting my friend Libby there weeks ago, I've had a nice little food crush on a kitchen & bakery on the outskirts of Uptown called "yum!".
Even though the place is half a bakery and tempts everyone who walks through the door with very nicely decorated treats, I still haven't been hungry enough at the end of the meal to even try one. They have scones. They have muffins. They have cake by the slice. And they are into the hottest-desserts-of-the-moment, what else? cupcakes. When NYC re-marketed the cupcake, bakeries everywhere took notice. These definitely look like a work of art and several people took some home in Tiffany-blue boxes tied with red string--their signature look.

The kitchen is on the far side of the room and has a nice selection of sandwiches and salads. When I lived in a sorority house, I got hooked on the egg salad the caterer would bring for lunch two times a week. This place's dilled egg salad takes me back to those days. The grilled cheese on challah is also delicious. The homemade french fries or homemade potato chips with sea salt and rosemary seem somewhat out of place here, but are a must-have anyway. And, yum! is definitely the only place outside of my college cafeteria that serves cold milk in one of those old silver serving things.

Dave and I spent the afternoon in an art museum, and after a late lunch here, we realized we were staring at the cupcakes the same way we stared at Chinese ceramics and African head masks. If food is an art, then we could be considered aficionados here.

No comments: