Monday, April 14, 2008

These boots were made for hiking

In preparation for the Great Alaskan Adventure this summer, Dave and I went out and purchased boots that are the most expensive shoe either of us have ever owned. For a guy, I think that's about right. For a girl, that's saying something.



Now, to break them in.

Here we are cheesing in the middle of our hike at Richard T Anderson Conservation Area in Eden Prairie. That's the Minnesota River Valley behind us. After another bout with winter weather on Friday and Saturday, we were glad to see 40-degree sunny weather on Sunday and Monday.

Here's a quick photo album of the hike, which took about 2 hours.



Dave is walking through Prairie Sedge, which is a thick grasslike plant that grows in clumps.







Here I am, pondering the meaning of "Minnesota Nice."











And finally, here Dave is with his best imitation of Man versus Wild's Bear Grylls... putting the finishing touches on an already completed shelter. He did quite well, actually.


4 comments:

Dave said...

Hey unless there is proof otherwise, which I know there is not, I built that whole thing myself!

Mary Downey said...

I love the updates!

Darrell said...

Let me get this straight: Matthew is going to Istanbul, Elizabeth is in southeast Asia and INdia for 18 days, yo and Dave are going to Alaska. I'm going to McAllen Texas and Tulsa.
What's wrong with this set of circumstances? Nothing, from your perspective. A whole lot from mine.

karlyn, troy, and bryson said...

Yall are so cute and wildernessy. Yes, I'm aware you won't find that word in the dictionary, but its appropriate :)